Monday, July 19, 2010

Dreamy Recipes and Hmmpht.

Spicy Tomato Jam
- makes 1 generous pint, two 8-ounce jars -
Ingredients
4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped ripe tomatoes (2 1/2 to 3 pounds tomatoes)
2 lemons, peel cut entirely away and discarded, seeds removed, flesh finely chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 pinches salt
Procedure
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a brisk simmer and continue to cook, stirring periodically skimming off any foam that forms on the surface and stirring frequently, until a thick, jam like consistency is achieved and most of the liquid has evaporated, 30 to 35 minutes. (Stir more frequently during the last 10 minutes so that the jam doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan.)
2. Transfer the jam to hot sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/2 inch from the top, and attach the lids and rings.
3. Once they have cooled, store the jars in the refrigerator for up to 4 months. (Alternatively, place the jam in covered nonreactive containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)

Though I would add garlic to mine, I do love it so... Thanks for the idea Serious Eats!
While it's not exactly the same topic of food, but oh so tightly woven, I feel I must bring up the following stupid train of thought and add to this post.
Don't you hate it when you go from having a couple of positive body image days full of good times, good eats, exercise and productivity to suddenly plunging into the crappy self-loathing pit of despair of a fat day? I know, it's not The Princess Bride... and the Pit of Despair is NO place I would want to be, but sometimes it is just downright discouraging to feel so hateful towards yourself.  It makes me wonder if I'd been somehow looking into only skinny mirrors then suddenly caught a reality check from one of those evil mirrors that talk back to you like the one on Snow White.

.
Oh I can't stand it! Instead of wallowing in it today, though, I decided to dull the ridiculous shift of mood by downing a packet of Animal Crackers (actually they were Keebler Elfin Crackers which are "better for you" than the buttery goodness of the Animal Cracker box car variety).

Do I feel better? Yes.
Less fat day? Clearly not.
More importantly, do I care? Not really that either.

Tomorrow will I promise to return to positive productivity. 

No comments: